1. Do it with a friend. And your honey if you can. It makes you show up. It gives the other person the opportunity to encourage and motivate your lazy self. And vice versa. I can honestly say this is the single biggest reason I’ve successfully exercised for close to 30 years. And I am a really lazy bum by nature.
2. Treat yourself to some decent workout clothes. You’ll look good. (Always important!) You’ll feel good and if you’ve made the investment you may be more inclined to continue.
3. Check yourself out in the mirror. With and without clothes. It keeps you honest.
4. Listen to your body. It will help you stay healthy and prevent overuse injuries. If you’re hurt you can’t move and if you can’t move you can’t work out.
5. Treats. If you burn the calories you can eat the calories! (Within reason of course.)
6. Mix it up. I ran for years and years and then I added walking in. And then for some reason the run just didn’t seem like such a chore. Take a class, lift some weights, and change the time of day. Go for a hike, ride your bike, get a kayak. Mix. It. Up.
7. Take a break when you need it. If you dread going you’re not going to continue. It’s okay to take a day off!!!
8. Add music to your workout. Because I virtually never walk or run alone this isn’t big for me but…when taking a class or being in the gym…the music makes it so much easier.
9. Subscribe to a magazine like Runners World or FIT or something like that. It helps you feel like you belong to the lifestyle. It’s part of who you are!
10. Have fun and don’t take yourself too seriously. Laughing is allowed!